Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Too Early for Christmas?

I've become involved in numerous discussions with my co-worker on when it is appropriate to begin listening to Christmas music. I know of two radio stations that play Christmas music beginning on 1 Nov. until Christmas (and maybe beyond...). I've tried playing some at work without her noticing (with our desks right next to each other that can be a little difficult). Today, because it was the first real snow of the season, she agreed to let me play Christmas music.

I'm not planning on playing it every day. I just really enjoy it, and I think that after Halloween (not my favorite holiday) it's kind of nice to set the mood for things to come. Some people argue that if you play the music too early, Thanksgiving gets overlooked and kind of passed-by. That is not at all my intent. I love Thanksgiving too. I think that the two holidays can be combined to become a wonderful two month season of niceness and joy! Okay, that last sentiment is a bit cheesy, but I really do think the two can be combined without rushing past the first.

So, what are your thoughts? Strong feelings either way? Neutral? I'm curious as to whether or not I'm alone in this way of thinking or not. Let me know!

Speaking of Christmas music - I'm going to add Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing "Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth" to my video side-bar. "Little Drummer Boy" is really not one of my favorite Christmas songs, but I love this version. I hope you take the time to listen, and enjoy!

5 comments:

Katie Rod said...

Ha ha! Love that David Bowie/Bing Crosby version. I know everyone at the HCO (besides Linda) probably thinks it's too early, but oh well! I think a good sprinkling every now and then before Thanksgiving is fine. But, I think saturation after Thanksgiving is the way to go. Happy first snow!!! (Our high today was 82...not to rub it in or anything!)

faith said...

i usually don't like playing it myself until the beginning of december. i just think it can get over-done before. the day after thanksgiving is not bad - especially compared to november 1. i went to the grocery store on saturday and, sure enough, they had christmas music playing. i couldn't believe it. i'm so glad i don't work there. intermittently probably wouldn't be too bad for me, but not of my own doing. :)
i also like that version of little drummer boy. very nice.

kathy w. said...

We listen to some Christmas music from a Finnish band; because some of the tunes are unfamiliar, it doesn't all feel like Christmas stuff. I think a balance is a good idea until Thanksgiving hits.

Roskelley Ramblings said...

Eden, Eden, Eden, You know I am right about the balance and good discretion of keeping Christmas music in its proper time place. Pretty soon we will be putting up the tree and placing the poinsettias (a seasonal plant that should be gone after Christmas) in their places. It will be ever so fun and joyous to add Christmas music to that scene. Love ya, so much. Linda

Bryson and Tara said...

I love Christmas music. I started listening to it in August, dealing with the ridicule of my co-workers and husband. I'm like this every year, and I think it's because I did choir for so many years, and we'd start practicing Christmas music really early, so it's been built into me, I guess.