Friday, September 5, 2014

Guess What!

I like running. It's been so long (I honestly can't remember the last time I went running - aside from last night) that I had forgotten. But when I got on the treadmill, hit 5 mph (at a 2% decline - I admit) and started running, I just wanted to keep running. So I ran. For a mile. That took me 12 minutes. And then I stopped and walked between 3 and 4 mph at a 10% incline for 1/2 a mile. Then ran for another half (after changing it to -2% again).

The point is - it felt good.


It felt good to push myself in a way that I hadn't for a really long time.

It felt good to do something that I didn't think I was capable of doing (running a mile without stopping - albeit on a treadmill set on a decline).

It felt good to feel my muscles straining with the movement.

It felt good to *need* a cool drink of water after.

It felt good to have a reason to lie down and take a minute to cool off.

It felt good to feel my leg muscles shake when I was walking down a few stairs after.

It felt good to feel my abs ache when I sat up (running downhill is a really good workout for the core - that's one reason I use to justify my running downhill, I'm strengthening my core.).

It felt good to run.


And I must say that afterward I felt no inclination to stuff my face with cookies and cupcakes. And that was the big reason I made myself get on the treadmill yesterday. When I did WW the first time and lost 30 lbs. I was on the treadmill almost every day. I don't think exercise is the biggest factor in weight loss. I think it's much more about what you're eating and how much of it you're eating. But for me, exercise gets in my head and when I'm expending that much effort to be healthy, I don't want to blow it all on candy and dessert. And if last night is any indication, this should work for me again.

Here's hoping.

And here's to running.

No comments: