Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Silence... of the phones...

For the past almost four weeks my phone has been on silent mode. It began when work started getting busy with people calling in about not being able to register. The phone at work was ringing so much that I decided I didn't want to hear more phones ringing when I was home. So I silenced it. This has been one of the best ideas I've had since I got the phone.

Sure, I'll miss calls, and sometimes I'm really slow getting back to texts, but it's become more of a convenience for me rather than making myself a "slave" to anyone who needs to get a hold of me. For a while I worried about someone calling me needing help. Then I realized that I am nobody's only friend, and if they really need help, there are other sources to go to. Is that totally selfish? It's not that I don't want to help people, it's just that the sound of a phone ringing drives me crazy. Even if it is the theme song from the Brady Bunch, or Jeopardy. Even Tim McGraw and Rascal Flatts can get annoying because it's noise. I'm okay with eliminating noise from my life.

5 comments:

kathy w. said...

Good for you. I have another idea, which I've been trying out for the past month: lose your phone. Then nobody can bug you.
(There are also some drawbacks. I haven't figured out how to overcome feeling cut off from the world.)

Katie Rod said...

I hear ya. I usually leave my phone off from 9pm until 12pm or so they next day. It makes my mornings just that much easier.

P.S.--I heard that Wicked is coming to Salt Lake City in 2009. Apparently it came here to Dallas this past May and I completely missed it!

Bethany said...

You and me both!

Matthew Neal said...

You know, the world still needs to learn lot's about cell phone etiquette and keeping phones on silent I'd say is the way many people need to go. I rarely have my ringer on and it saves me from many an embarrassing situation.

Deja said...

Ahhh, brilliant, Eddie.

I just saw your comment on my blog and thought, hey, didn't Eddie have a blog? And here I am!

Yay for bloggers!