Saturday, May 12, 2012

Houston, Day 1

I left for Houston this morning and arrived in the early afternoon. I had a brief layover in Denver. Just enough time to get from one gate to the other and basically walk onto the plane. That airport is huge!

I came out to spend time with a friend and her four kids while her husband is out of town. I've been wanting to come out for a while, and this worked perfectly.

After landing in Houston I started talking to my seatmate. I asked him about his book 'Service' when I saw it was written by the same guy who wrote 'Lone Survivor,' a book about this military mission in... Iraq(?) where they get attacked and this guy is... the lone survivor. My friend from the plane mentioned that he was out serving when the attack happened and he heard about it. No details or names, but he remembers when it happened. I asked him about his military service and he said he served three tours in the space of five years and he thinks that's the reason his wife divorced him. When they got divorced he got custody of the children and left the army at that time.

As a side note - he said that his current wife went to high school with the line survivor and his brother.

I thanked him for his service and he responded with a 'yes ma'am.' (Speaking of which, this guy is a Texan and military... I just about got yes ma'am'ed to death) But my conversation with him made me realize even more that I don't understand most of what a great sacrifice it is for these men and women to serve our country. And I just want to say again how grateful I am for them. And I'm so proud of my granddad and brother-in-law and many others for being a part of them.

Well, there may be more updates while I'm here, but I didn't bring my laptop so I'll be posting by phone. Which isn't quite as easy and convenient.

No comments: