Tuesday, February 21, 2012

That Much Closer...

... not talking about my thesis, but I am 'that much closer' on that too...

Today I dropped Max off at the vet around 7 am and picked him up around 5:30 after my late meeting. I felt bad leaving him there all day, but I think he handled it like a champ. Although he was *very* excited to see me and looked ready to jump over the counter to get to me when they brought him out.

But what he's closer to is becoming a therapy dog. I've been thinking about it for a while and finally decided to take the steps to make it happen. I think he'd be great at it - he loves all people, and especially kids, and has such a sweet temperament (until blogger corrected me just now, I would have spelled that 'temperment'). As the vet wrote on his 'report card' - 'he is quite the charmer!'

I've taught him two new tricks (using great videos from this guy) in the last four days and despite my initial - 'I think he might be dumb.' reaction when starting with the first trick, he's doing very well and I think he's actually pretty smart. (: I became really impressed after teaching him 'leave it' when I saw that even when I gave the command after he'd lunge for it, he'd back off without eating it.

After I think he's trained enough, I'll be in touch with someone who can certify him as a therapy dog. Here's hoping he qualifies! I think it would be a great experience for me - and for him. (:

No comments: