Thursday, October 23, 2008

Eat to Live... don't live to eat...


It has come to my attention that some of my friends have health issues that have befuddled, bamboozled, and otherwise confused the doctors that they have gone to see. To quote one of them, "If they don't have a test for it, you're fine." Now that's just sad, especially at our age!

I've mentioned this to some of you, but now I'd like to mention it to anyone who reads this. Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. The basic idea is that by making our diet consist almost entirely of fruits and vegetables, our bodies will get all the nutrients and fuel to take care of themselves better. They'll be able to function properly, and clean themselves out of all the unnecessary junk we put in them.

I can't say that I've followed this perfectly, but overall, I've been eating better than I had before. Just last week I got results back for some blood work that BYU pays for me to get done. Thankfully, they include my previous results with the new ones so I can compare. Here they are:

Sorry it's a little fuzzy...

Okay, so, not perfect still, but much better. In fact, by my Sept. Triglycerides and HDL they had typed "verified." My best guess is that because they were so much better than last time's, they ran it again to check the numbers.

The couple of weeks before my blood was drawn, I wasn't even following the eating plan as well as I had been when I first started reading the book. So, I can imagine how much better the numbers would have been if I had stuck to it better. Anyway, the proof is there, that changing your eating can drastically improve your health - if you change it in the right way, of course.

In the book, he gives examples of people who changed their diet and got rid of all symptoms of health problems they had been diagnosed with previously. He talks of people who were on multiple blood pressure and cholesterol medications who no longer use any medications. It's pretty amazing stuff!

I really hope that anyone who reads this that is struggling with some kind of health issue(s) will at least give the book a chance. I haven't read it all, but what I have read is very compelling. Let me know if you have any questions, and if/when you give it a shot!

5 comments:

kathy w. said...

Thanks so much! I'll definitely take you up on the recommendation. I've been paying more attention to what I eat lately and it totally makes a difference.
I think our society's gotten used to thinking that food is a social event or a fun activity, not a form of sustenance. Christopher tells me what he learns in his food science classes about the functions of different foods and it blows me away.

faith said...

that's awesome, eden! we're doing much better on our eating too. still haven't finished the book either, but i've really enjoyed it. i've just got to spend all my free time on benny's costume...

simplysarah said...

Very interesting Eden! I especially loved that you posted your test results - what a testimonial. That was really cool to see and must feel so good! Way to go.

Fruits and vegetables rock!!! ;)
I don't know if you've discovered them yet, but steamfresh veggies are one of my fav finds.

Bill said...

I came across your blog from another blog while searching for "Eat to Live". I am glad to see your success. My wife and I have been following ETL for 3 1/2 months, and have gotten some of our children and their spouses also to try it, all with great results.

I have a son who will be returning to BYU and I was wondering if you could tell me more about BYU paying you to have your blood work done? Are you participating in a nutritional study? My son has interests in nutrition and would be interested in knowing.

Thanks

eden said...

Bill, it's great to hear of others having success with Fuhrman's plan! I've found that overall I just feel better when I'm eating healthier - big surprise.

As for the testing at BYU - the tests I was referring to are offered free to BYU full-time employees. I'm not sure if there are things like that that students can participate in, but I think the BYU Health Center, Y-Be-Fit in the Richards Building, and maybe the Nursing Dept.(?) might be good places for him to start looking for something like that.