Monday, October 27, 2008

I Should Have Known!

My first clue was when I started my car and turned on my radio. While waiting for things to warm up (i.e. waiting for the rear defroster to kick in, which, thankfully, doesn't take too long) I flipped on the radio to hear that great song from the Bangles, "Manic Monday," playing. ...

Six oclock already
I was just in the middle of a dream
I was kissin valentino
By a crystal blue italian stream

But I cant be late
cause then I guess I just wont get paid
These are the days
When you wish your bed was already made

...

You know the one - the difference was I didn't have a "valentino" or a "crystal blue italian stream." I could appreciate a song about Monday when it actually was a Monday, but little did I know that "Manic Monday" could accurately describe the way work was going to go. Not too long after 8 things started getting crazy. We had a request for specific information from the President's office, a list of "honor code offenders" that had been emailed to us that we needed to go through, a phone call from a Stake Presidency member regarding the status of three students in his stake, and some other fun little projects that popped up.

It was 10:21 and I was ready to go home. For the week.

However, the good news is that I got a lot of sleep this weekend! Maybe I shouldn't be bragging about being able to do this, but my light was turned off before 9:30 on Friday, around 10 on Saturday, and at 7:40 last night. Last night was because I could feel a migraine coming on (I'm so sad that I know what those feel like) and wanted to avoid it if at all possible. I didn't actually fall asleep until a bit after 9, but it was good to have the dark and quiet for a while.

Because I had such a good weekend as far as sleep was concerned, I was better prepared to deal with the demands of the day. I was able to just take things and deal with them calmly and rationally rather than get irritated or snippy with people. I was grateful for it and I'm sure, had my coworkers known the possible risk, they would have been grateful for it too!

Now the question - if I can manage to get to bed that early on the weekend, what's to keep me from doing it during the week? Tonight will be the test...

1 comment:

faith said...

i hope it ended up a little better than it started for you. and i definitely hope it's not a prelude of things to come for this week. to quote another song, you just gotta "keep on keepin' on!" :)