Monday, January 25, 2010

Friday's Phone Calls (or lack of)*

* this is not referencing Johnny,
in case you were wondering.



Friday morning I woke up at 3:20 (after falling asleep at 2 - don't ask, I can't explain), and headed up North around 4 to help answer the anticipated millions of phone calls from people wanting to donate to help the relief efforts in Haiti.

A friend and I got there a bit before 5.

Another friend joined us a little later.

Our shift was 5 - 9 am.

The phones rang twice in two hours.

We ended up leaving at 7.

On the way home I started laughing somewhat hysterically (I blame it on exhaustion) and finally managed to communicate to my friend the reason for my laughter - "We woke up at 3:30 to sit in a room for two hours."

I went home and slept for another hour and a half (doubling my sleeping time).

I was going to go back for a shift from 5 - 7 pm.

They told me to call in first to see if I was needed.

Turns out I wasn't.

Sad day.

I just found out that the Red Cross did raise about 9,100 on
Friday. So it wasn't a complete waste of a day for them.

No comments: