Monday, March 2, 2009

Why I Love Being a Woman

In no particular order:

- the ability the close the car door, a drawer, etc. with a(n) (oh-so-graceful) thrust of my hip
- the ability to open doors that have a push bar or lever with the same thrust of my hip
- the ability to hold babies and toddlers propped up on... said hip
(I'm really not obsessed with hips... read on...)
- being a more natural nurturer (I love that women are predisposed towards being able to discern someone's feelings and respond in a caring way)
- being able to have long nails that you can paint in pretty ways (my favorite is the french manicure - thanks to Bethany for helping me with my very first one for her wedding)
- being able to have long hair that you can make look pretty in various ways
- wearing skirts (I used to hate skirts. during my mission I came to love them. I own lots of them.)
- being able to cry when watching movies (doesn't mean I don't get embarrassed when I get caught, and it used to bug me that I'd cry, but I'm becoming grateful for the ability to show emotion like that)
- accepting the gentlemanly actions of gentleman (this one, I love. of course I'm capable of opening a door for myself, but that's not what it's about. it's about allowing others who care to "take care" of you... or show consideration for you. I love it.)
- being soft-spoken (I'm not always as soft-spoken as I'd like to be, but I love hearing pretty speech and I'd like to get better at having pretty speech)
- wearing make-up (another thing I used to hate having to worry about. it wasn't until three years ago, at Bethany's encouragement, that I started actually learning how to do it. It's nice to be able to enhance whatever natural beauty you have... and cover up those not so beautiful blemishes...)
- having girl-talks
- the ability to have babies (of course, I haven't experienced this myself, but I love that I'm capable of creating life and nurturing growth)
- being feminine and graceful (another thing I'm working on and am far from perfecting, but I love that the possibility is there)
- being able to throw your hair up, tie on some sneakers and go for a 20-mile run, then return home, shower, and make yourself all pretty for an evening out
- wearing lotion and other things that make you smell nice

It's a far from comprehensive list, just a start. But I really do love being a woman. I have a roommate who's a self-proclaimed feminist. I think I may be considered anti-feminist, and by the use of the word in today's society, I'm perfectly okay with that. Men and women are different, and the differences should be celebrated.

I Love Being a Woman.

2 comments:

Stella said...

Thanks for the reminder about all the good things that come with being a woman. Sometimes I need a reminder that being a woman is not all that bad - in fact, it's actually great. And I totally agree: don't hate - celebrate the differences between men and women!

Jennie Larsen said...

Here's a thought my mother-in-law sent me that applies to this post: "I wonder if you sisters fully understand the greatness of your gifts and talents and how all of you can achieve the "highest place of honor" in the Church and in the world. One of your unique, precious, and sublime gifts is your femininity, with its natural grace, goodness, and divinity. Femininity is not just lipstick, stylish hairdos, and trendy clothes. It is the divine adornment of humanity. It finds expression in your qualities of your capacity to love, your spirituality, delicacy, radiance, sensitivity, creativity, charm, graciousness, gentleness, dignity, and quiet strength. It is manifest differently in each girl or woman, but each of you possesses it."
--James E. Faust, "Womanhood: The Highest Place of Honor", Ensign, May 2000, 95