Tuesday, September 1, 2009

No! I Didn't Forget... I Just Let Myself Get Terribly Distracted... ... For Over a Month

My *little* sister Faithy's birthday was 21 July. Since I've given birthday tributes to my four siblings whose birthdays were earlier in the year, I can't stop now and decided I had better catch up (especially now that we're in September - the month of two more siblings' birthdays).

First of all - Happy, happy belated birthday Faithy!

Second of all - here are some memories of mine over the last... 26 years or so:

i remember that you "got the part because [you] were the loudest!"
i remember that we loved to wear twirly skirts and twirl around the family room
i remember you sitting on and breaking the mirror (:
i remember creating a "code" we used for communicating between the wall
*are you there, yes i'm here, okay, okay, bye, bye*
i remember writing the code down on the chalkboard so we would remember it
i remember ben i. and ben r. and larry g.
i remember you got to sing sister margaretta's (sp?) part - even though that was the part i wanted (mostly because i thought her name was the prettiest), i was glad that you got it

i remember being so grateful that i had a sister just one year younger than i every time we went to a new school
i remember that you weren't embarrassed to let your older sister hang out with you
i remember you telling me about richard and spencer and (the redheaded girl) in your math class and talking about your crush on richard - at that time we'd never have guessed you'd marry spencer
i remember your long talks with spencer when we were in New York for thanksgiving
i remember seeing you try on the "perfect" wedding dress
i remember you finding a different dress that you loved more
i remember you looking beautiful in all of the dresses you tried on
i remember seeing you as a first-time mother
i remember how tired you became, but how happy you were to be a mother
i remember you letting me steal your little boys so i could babysit and have a small taste of motherhood
i remember our super-late night talks where you have been so understanding and helpful
i remember tearing up when i think of how lucky i am to have a sister like you (kind of like i'm tearing up now while i'm writing this)
i also remember how grateful i am to have you in my life, and for your wonderful example as a sister, a wife, and a mother

i love you little faithy!

6 comments:

mom said...

I'm tearing up, too. I love you both.

Jennie Larsen said...

this is beautiful and luckily reminds me of the funny memories me and my sisters have (this way i'm not totally jealous!)

faith said...

thank you, eden. i remember all of these things too. you've always been a great older sister. i love you.

Bethany said...

*sigh* Ben I.

Very sweet post! I love the memories!

Bethany said...

Oh, but don't forget razors in the shower. Guess what Gracie did the other day -- her lip!

kathy w. said...

You're so fabulous. And so is Faith.