Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Apparently I Listen the Same Way I Read

I normally have a few books that I'm reading at any given time. Often, one will grab my attention more than the others and I'll spend more of my time on that one until I finish it, begin my mass readings again until another one wins my attention, repeat process again and again, adding in new books as I finish others.

For the last couple of years I've had an account with audible.com. Earlier this year I really started taking advantage of it. Now, almost all of the 'for fun' reading I do is through audio books. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I love it. I've noticed, that just like when I'm reading, I listen to multiple things until one grabs my attention, etc, etc.

Here's what I've been listening to lately - in no particular order (except that it's alphabetical, so I guess that is a particular order...) :



My sister sent me this book years ago thinking that it would help me with my 'issues' (my word, not hers), and I just barely found an audio version of it (not through audible). I've been listening to it for the last few days and I really think it's helping me work through some things. It's a great book for figuring out your current relationship with food, yourself, and your body.


I've heard from a few different sources that this is hilarious. I've just barely gotten into it, and I must say, she's pretty funny.


I've mentioned this book on my blog before. Like here, and here, and even here. It's a great motivator to change your eating to be healthier. So many things can be prevented if you eat a healthy diet (I'm talking real healthy, not fake vegetarian or vegan healthy that is stocked full of pastas and breads - and sadly, I love pastas and breads).


I found this book when I did a search for a feng shui book that my sister asked me to look over so I can help her baby-prep her house when I go visit. I couldn't find the feng shui one, but I've been listening to this one and I really like it. I have a problem with not getting rid of clutter, and I like the way this guy talks about why we have it and how to get rid of it. He used to be on the show Clean Sweep (which I've never seen, but think I might enjoy). I'm also looking forward to listening to his book 'Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?'


No explanation necessary. It's a classic. I'm listening to the unabridged version. It's about 60 hours long.

BIG NEWS - have you heard about this? I'm really pretty excited about it (not that it's 3d, but that they're making a musical movie version). I just really, really hope they don't ruin it. And that the actors can actually sing. I mean really sing. I will say that I'm pretty thrilled with the casting of the lead role.


I read books like this and I think - I have nothing to complain about. So why do I keep complaining? Wow. It's about a Russian girl during WWII. I started listening to it a while ago but it got pushed to the side with some of the others. I'll try to finish it in the next week or so since I have less than an hour and a half left.


There's an in-depth look at my audible app on my phone. I have lots of others yet-to-be-listened to. Some of those include: 'Cary Grant: A Biography,' 'The Story of My Life,' 'Endurance,' 'The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook,' and 'Tears in the Darkness.' Plus more... I'll keep you updated. (:

No comments: