Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"I Never Do This!"


i think it's about one million points to you if
you know what film that picture is from


How many time have I said those words without really meaning it. I mean... I didn't do *whatever* enough to warrant saying that I did it, so I may as well say that I never did it. (If you made sense of that last sentence, one million more points to you.)

The event I'm speaking of this time took place on Sunday.

I was on my way to my parent's house for the evening. I got off the freeway and saw a car at the bottom of the off-ramp with its hazards flashing. No one was inside. As I was driving up the hill, I saw a guy walking. He didn't look like a recreational walker. At first I passed him, but as I went on, I guessed that the car I had seen was very probably his and since there was a gas station at the top of the hill I could maybe give him a ride...

I turned around.

I turned onto a side street in order to turn around again.

As I was coming out of the street he had just finished crossing it. I honked my horn, rolled down the window, and asked if he needed a ride -

"Is there a gas station up there?"

Yeah, you're pretty close.

"Would you mind giving me a ride?"

Not at all.

He got in, I drove him up, offered to wait while he bought a container and filled it up, then drove him back to his car.

While driving him there I found out that he was from Iowa - headed back there - but had been in Utah while going to school at the U.

When I was dropping him off I told him, "I never do this." I guess... I should have said, "I've never done this before."

A few things that make this event okay -
- This was an isolated event. I had never done it before (I'm not in the habit of inviting strangers into my car)
- I consider myself a fairly intelligent individual and after deducing (using that word I feel like I'm Sherlock Holmes) that it must have been his car I had seen and he needed help, I felt like I could offer it. He wasn't lying in wait for an unsuspecting female to go by.
Lastly, and I think most important...
- I was kind of saying a prayer the whole time asking if it was okay that I stop for this guy and help him. I never felt uneasy at all.

An example of why it's so important to be able to feel promptings.

The end result?
My parents may eventually be able to forgive me for picking up a strange man walking down the street, but I don't know if my dad will ever forgive me for him being a U fan...

9 comments:

faith said...

i can't believe you did that. really. that's pretty much insane. i'm glad you're safe, though.
oh, and i'm going to say the picture's from a twilight zone episode. it looks like one i've seen. is that weird?

Bethany said...

I'm glad you never do that, Eden.

What movie is that picture from, by-the-way? I'd never pick up that guy, for sure. He looks like the guy from "Breakfast at Tiffany's" who calls everybody baby. That's way too slimy for my taste. Your guy didn't call you "Baby," did he? I hope not.

Again, I'm glad you never do that.

Bethany said...

And yes, Faith, that's weird.

Katie Rod said...

Woah, I am surprised you told your folks. My mom (or Tom) would never have forgiven me! But I am glad everything turned out alright and that you were able to help him out. :)

And yeah, what is that picture from? I want to say the Twilight Zone(I have seen almost every episode...yes, believe it!), but, do tell...it might drive me crazy trying to remember...

eden said...

The Answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitch-Hiker_(The_Twilight_Zone)

faith said...

believe it or not, i new the episode. and the hitchhiker is death...

Deja said...

Golly, Eden. Makes me scared to even hear the story, but I'm nutsy scared about this kind of thing. It's the stuff my nightmares are made of.

Katie Rod said...

ah hah! I knew it.

kathy w. said...

You are fabulous.