Friday, February 20, 2009

It's Been (another) One of Those Days

xxx points to you if you know what the picture is from. score yourself.

On my way to work today none of my pre-set stations were playing music. The whole drive (granted, it's only a 5-7 minute drive, but still). I should have known then.

It's the second day that the director's assistant is out sick. Which means more gets put on me. It's been fairly busy (we've seem to hit a lull right now... *knock on wood!*)... I was going to meet my dad and brothers for lunch... no Linda means no one's here except me from noon to one... which means I can't leave at that time to meet my dad and brothers. So that kind of bummed me out. I apparently told one of the counselors something I shouldn't have. It was about a policy the office used to have that the higher-ups are now reviewing to see if it's changing. But I told a worker in the office. Not some random person. While my boss was telling me on the phone about not telling people, he eventually reached the same conclusion I did - it didn't matter that I told her because she works here. But I had to listen to him go on for a few minutes before he reached that conclusion.

I went to the store on my lunch break to get stuff for the huge mess of mashed potatoes that I agreed to make for a dinner with friends tonight. Now I don't even want to go, but maybe it'll be good for me to force myself to go. ... I can't promise that I'll stay for very long, though.

Argh. (not like a pirate "argh"... just a frustrated one)

On my drive back to work from my apartment I was trying to find things to be grateful for. Because no matter how bad the day is, there are always things to be grateful for.

A short list:

My family. Today, particularly Faithy. I called her from the store asking her to convert cups to pints and quarts for me. I knew she'd know. And she did. She then told me that that's something she's always just remembered from school and can still picture the chart in her head. I told her that since I remembered how to dial her number on my phone it's practically the same thing... But really, my family always gives me one (or... make that 33) thing(s) to be grateful for. And I'm grateful for that.

My mountains. I know that other people claim them too, and that they're not really mine - or anyones - but I love them. They're beautiful with snow on them, with green on them, even when they're brown. I love them.

Having a job. Especially in this economy, I am so, so grateful that I have a steady income. It hasn't been easy to find a second job, but I'm just grateful that I don't have to worry about finding a first job.

As I said, it's a condensed list because I really do have so much more to be grateful for than that, but it's a start.

And...
I'm starting to feel better already.

5 comments:

Bethany said...

I win, I win! Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

Heather & Matt Fisher said...

i love you!! and I would prefer to think of you saying Argh the pirate way. :)

Stella said...

There have been a few days recently where I had to wear the railroad train pajamas, too (I hate those pajamas!).

Thanks for reminding me to count my blessings...blessing #1 - sunshine!

faith said...

"they made me buy plain old white ones. but they can't make me wear them."

glad you're having a better day. i hope the dinner goes well and that you have a good time. and i'm very glad that i could help. feel free to call whenever you need a cups/pints/quarts conversion. i'm all over that. :)

kathy w. said...

"...in my breakfast cereal box all I found was cereal."

You're fabulous.