Monday, April 27, 2009

And Here We Go!

A week ago my sister issued a challenge on the family blog. It's supposed to help you form good habits. Here's the list of things I agreed to do for the next 12 weeks:

1. 7 hours of sleep (not necessarily consecutive--naps count too)
2. 30 minutes of exercise (not necessarily consecutive)
3. No sweets/unhealthy snacks
4. 64 oz. of water
5. 3 servings of veggies, 2 servings of fruit
6. No soda
7. No eating after 8:00 PM
8. 15 minutes of scripture reading (family reading counts)
9. One journal entry in the journal type of your choice (personal, blog, etc.)
10. Choose your own habit (flossing, prayer, service, etc.)

Here's my breakdown of the situation:

1. 7 hours of sleep. - I can do this... I just have to make sure I do it. Especially if I'm going to start exercising in the morning (like I plan to), I need to make sure that I'm in bed, lights out, by 10. Possible? Yes.
2. 30 minutes of exercise. - Living at home where my parents have a nice exercise area set up (complete with TV and DVD player) will make this easier to do daily. I need to start running again (my knee is definitely getting better, but I'm not sure if it's ready for running yet), but until then, the bike and elliptical are good substitutes.
3. No sweets / unhealthy snacks. - I actually started this on my own last week. Not as difficult as I thought. With Sundays as "free" days, I can use that as my mildly indulgent day.
4. 64 oz. water. - No problem. I do this anyway. More often it's closer to 128 oz.
5. 3 servings veggies / 2 servings fruit. - Again, easy.
6. No soda. - I don't drink it anyway.
7. No eating after 8:00 pm. - No problem, I just need to remember.
8. 15 minutes of scripture reading. - Unfortunately, not as good a habit as it used to be, so this'll be good for me.
9. One journal entry. - Hmm... I may be blogging daily now... If I don't, don't worry, I'm not necessarily losing points, I do have a written journal too.
10. A habit of my choice. - Before the end of today, I'll have one picked out! (:

Moral of the story - I can do this. I should do this. I'm actually excited. Turns out that the 12-weeks end just a couple of days before our family reunion. Nice timing.

2 comments:

kathy w. said...

Hooray! Good habits are happy things. I think that habit can actually change your tastes. I think my tastes are changing (I've been eating food that's better for me, too). Last night, I went to a church training meeting and the over-sugary treats they served afterwards just didn't appeal to me the way they might have a few months ago.

faith said...

good luck from me too!