Sunday, May 1, 2011

My Second Half

Yesterday I ran in the Thanksgiving Point Half Marathon.

Was I ready?

No.

Did I fully train?

No.

Was it snowing?

Yes.

Did some of the uphills just about kill me?

Devil take it, Yes.

Did I average just under a 13-minute mile?

Yep.

Did the winner average just over a 5-minute mile?

I can hardly believe it, but yes. (I can't imagine running that fast for ONE mile let alone 13.1)

Did I track over 22,000 steps on a pedometer?

Yes. And I earned every one of them.

At the end, did I deliberately pick up my pace in order to beat a Ute fan?

Umm, with school pride involved, I absolutely did.

And did I beat him?

By at least a couple of minutes, thank you very much. Go Cougars!

Did I have fun?

Yes.

And that's all that matters.

Earlier this year I had been training really well, and even got to the point where I ran 14 miles - with NO walking breaks - on the treadmill.

That was a long time ago.

I got sick for a few weeks. (no fun)

And stopped training regularly during that time.

It's so sad how quickly you lose the ground you've gained if you stop running.

I'm looking at yesterday's half as a new start to training.

And I'm thinking all those runs posted on the left sidebar will help me keep running.

At least I hope so.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Way to go, Eden!

As soon as you finish your thesis, start plugging away at your training!

(Had to put that in there -- I want to see you REALLY finish!)

faith said...

So glad you beat the Ute. :)

Bryson and Tara said...

I agree with Faith. As long as you beat the Ute, that's all that really matters.

Good job, Eden. I am so wildly impressed by you! :)

eden said...

me to bess. thanks!

and tara and faith, i'm glad that our priorities are in line. (: