Thursday, January 8, 2009

I Respect Your Ideals...

...is just another way of saying "Take your ideals and hang." Or something even less nice than that.

I found this out after I went in to an interview at Kmart. That's right. Kmart. I figure if I'm going to be on the Dave Ramsey diet that I can't turn up my nose at any possible income opportunities.

Anyway. I submitted a resume and set up an interview time yesterday. I went in today and left about 2 minutes later. The conversation went something like this:

"So, you still work at BYU?"

"Yes, I'm trying to find a second job right now, during the evenings and Saturday."

"Are you available on Sundays?"

"No. I'm not."

"I realize that, being Utah, most people don't want to work on Sundays, but I have to insist that you at least work every other Sunday. Is that possible?"

"It's really not. So if that's not going to work..."

"Well, I respect your ideals, but I really have to insist on Sunday work."

(both of us standing)

"Well, thank you for your time."

The End.

Shortest interview I've ever had in my life.

3 comments:

faith said...

interesting. i've always thought that not hiring someone who wouldn't work on sundays is a form a religious discrimination. is that true? can a company refuse to hire a jew who won't work on saturdays?
also, does this mean you're now "gazelle intense"?! good for you!

Bethany said...

Good for you!!!! (for going for KMart and for no Sundays -- not that I would expect any less. . . .)

kathy w. said...

Nice. Gazelle intense? I'm intrigued...