Friday, January 30, 2009

Starving!

I didn't plan very well today (meal-wise, that is). I grabbed a bag of carrots as I was walking out the door rushing to get to work on time. (I clocked in at exactly 8 o'clock. It helped that I forewent the annoying necessity of scraping ice off my car windows. The front and sides weren't solidly covered so I figured it would be okay. Probably not the best idea, but I made it in alive!) Anyway. All I've had to eat today are those carrots. I've been ignoring the super-sweet, sugary concoctions on the table just a small 15 feet away from me.

Anyway, I ran downstairs to grab a vegetable croissant sandwich. All gone! I frantically started looking around to check out my other options. I knew I was hungry when a peanut butter, strawberry jam, and marshmallow sandwich started looking like a really good option. I was this (imagine my fingers very, very close together) close to buying it when I realized that there is refined sugar in marshmallows. And probably the jam as well, no?

So, today's saving grace:

Orange Honey Passion - probably my favorite of the odwalla juices (at least of the kinds I've tried), and a spinach parmesan bagel.

*update: sad, sad news... I was thinking honey wasn't as bad for you as refined sugar, but apparently... check out this website. But then, here's a website talking about how great honey is. And it showed up at the top of my google search with the other one coming in second. Who should I believe???

1 comment:

Deja said...

Honey's fine, I say. You gotta have something.

Agave nectar is the big natural sweetener right now. It's tasty. My mom puts barley malt powder on her cereal. That's tasty and good for you. You could also try stevia.

All I know is, I am anti-splenda. To the core. I used it exclusively for a long time, and now the SMELL of it (yes, I can smell it.) makes me gag. I tried going sugar-free again at the beginning of the year, and ultimately decided that EXTREME limitation of sugar intake and a vow to choose natural sweeteners when I can was the way for me.

I seem to have a lot to say on the subject. Sorry.

But be nice to Eden. That's what I really have to say. Sounds like you're on track so far.