Friday, January 16, 2009

The Token Mexican?


I was just talking to some people down in the Health Science Department about my application to the Public Health program. When my ethnicity was mentioned (I'm one quarter Hispanic - which makes me "legally" Hispanic) someone said, "Without going into too much detail, that could really help you get in." My guess - and this is pure speculation on my part - the program may be getting some flack for not being diverse enough. I could end up being the token Mexican. (I should probably try to get a really good tan this summer...)

I don't look Mexican, I don't speak Spanish, and I've never been discriminated against (except for a few times on my mission and that's because I was white instead of black). But I told them that I was willing to use anything that would be useful in helping me get in. So... !Aqui voy! (I don't know if I said that right.)

3 comments:

faith said...

hey, if it helps get you in, you're in! that's exciting.

besides, it won't even be like soar because nobody will know you're the mexican. all that week didn't you get, "so, what ethnicity are you?"

simplysarah said...

Hilarious! :)

Katie Rod said...

haha! Tom worked down in the BYU Multicultural office for a while and everyone kept asking him, "So how are you multicultural?" He is like 1/16 native american, but hey, it still counts!!!